Beerwah Bulldogs crush the competition

By Kirra Livingstone

The Beerwah Bulldogs women’s open team have won their last two games, winning 26-0 against the Noosa Pirates, and 48- 8 against the Nambour Crushers.

Coach Rod Kerr was proud of the team for their impressive efforts, capped off with their highest tally of the season against the Crushers.

“The girls have worked hard this year, it’s just unfortunate we’ve had a bit of Covid today, we’ve had a couple of ankle injuries, so it’s just a bit tough for the girls…” he said.

“They get a combination going and then we lose a couple of players, but we’ve got a bye this week, and I think we’ve got about five or six players coming back in the next game.”

Jordan Jackson was one among many standout players from the team, particularly against Nambour, and Coach Kerr was quite happy with her performance.

“She’s a really smart little player, and has got a good footy brain, she’s always looking for some space, and she defends really well as well, so she’s a good find for us,” he said.

Their first taste of points against Noosa was 10 minutes in, with Bulldogs hooker Jordan Jackson, scoring in the left corner.

Following the first try, winger Kim Gray and centre Courtney Lockwood scored a try each in the first half.

The second half started badly for the Beerwah Bulldogs, with the injury of prop Kara Blake, who was helped off the field and didn’t return.

The injury didn’t faze the team though, which went on to score another three unanswered tries.

Lockwood had a standout game, making scoring in both halves.

Keely Harth and Annette Brander also scored with the team keeping the Pirates pointless in the 26-0 thumping.

The Bulldogs played Nambour Crushers at the Nambour Rugby League Club on June 18.

The Bulldogs started slowly, allowing the Crushers to score first after just three minutes, but that was a minor blip for the away team.

The Bulldogs responded, with Jordan Jackson scoring Beerwah’s first try of the game six minutes in, and centre Courtney Lockwood successfully converting.

They scored another four tries in the first half, with Tahlea Corcoran, Tash Thorley, Jackson again, and Annette Brander all crossing the line with the team heading into the break leading 26-4. In the second half, the Doggies put their foot down with prop Keely Harth scoring 32 minutes into the game, before going off towards the end of the game with an ankle injury.

Following three more Beerwah tries, Nambour managed to score the final unconverted try, bringing the final score to 48-8.

The men’s A-Grade team defeated Noosa 38-12 and the Crushers by 31-10.