Cobb and Co anniversary

Contributed by Ron Gillinder

The Glasshouse History Group will have a display of Cobb & Co Coach memorabilia in the Beerwah Library to coincide with the first Cobb & Co Coach stopping at Bankfoot House on 12 November 1868 en route to Gympie.

After an early morning start from the Royal Hotel in Brisbane, driver and passengers had lunch (called ‘dinner’ in 1868) at Bankfoot and the groom changed the five horses. Horses had to be changed every 12-15 miles.

The following day the same procedure occurred for the coach travelling from Gympie.

The journey from Brisbane to Gympie took two full days with an overnight stop at James Low’s hotel in Yandina.

The event will be held in November with more details to follow.